Auto text: “Insert Lung Explant”
Patients with interstitial lung disease are consented for a research protocol, in which the explant gets grossed by the pathology staff, and the remainder of the tissue is returned to the research staff.
If received during business hours: lung explants will be grossed fresh by a PA for research purposes.
If received on the autopsy service: please gross according to the following protocol.
If a call is received after hours and the pathology resident is present in-house, please gross the lung according to the following protocol.
If a call is received after hours and the pathology resident is NOT in-house, the research staff can be advised to store the lung in the OR refrigerator (per protocol for up to 48 hours), and it should be brought to the gross room the morning of the next business day.
- Check with PA to see if lung is for tissue bank protocol.
- If YES or unsure: DO NOT infuse with or fix in formalin.
- If NO: You can infuse with formalin after weighing.
- Weigh and measure (3D).
- Photograph intact specimen.
- Submit bronchial and vascular margins.
- Take 3-4 representative sections of hilar lymph nodes.
- Serially section sagitally and describe pleura, parenchyma, and airways.
- Photograph cut section.
- Submit 3 sections per lobe for standard histology processing (central (hilar), middle, and peripheral; designate in block summary).
- Return the remainder of the tissue to the research staff.