Auto text: “Insert Transplant Nephrectomy”
These specimens are signed out by the Medical Renal service. Consult Renal attendings with questions.
- Weigh and measure specimen in 3 dimensions.
- Measure length and diameter of attached ureter and vessels.
- If a mass is suspected/palpated, ink the outer surface of the kidney adjacent to the mass.
- Take circumferential “en face” margins of distal ureter, renal arteries, renal veins. Place in cassette and keep it in container.
- Open the ureter longitudinally to examine for lesions.
- Bisect kidney through renal hilus and surrounding perinephric fat.
- Identify and measure adrenal, if present.
- Identify and measure kidney, including cortical thickness.
- Section each half of the kidney in 1 cm slices.
- Examine kidney for any cysts or masses. Measure range of cyst sizes and any masses in 3 dimensions.
- Overnight formalin fixation is optional. Specimen can be grossed same day.
- Describe the consistency of the kidney, paying particular attention to the cortex and renal vessels at the hilum.
- Describe the subcapsular surface and features observed on the cut surface.
- Submit representative sections of cortex, medulla and pelvis.
- If masses are identified, submit representative sections of mass including closest to inked outer margin. See Neoplastic Nephrectomy for more details.