Auto text: “Insert Neuro”
- Immediately call the Neuropath attending on-call upon receipt of all neuropath specimens (tumors, seizure focuses, etc).
- All specimens, following attending review, should be fixed in formalin prior to submission.
- With the exception of larger resections or seizure focuses, all neuro cases should be submitted the same day as receipt.
- Larger resections should be on the BIGS runs (4pm or 7pm).
- FNB biopsies can be submitted on the BIOPSY runs.
- For small biopsies (less than 0.2 cm in aggregate) or tissue cores, separate the specimens into at least 2 cassettes, both with 10 Level FNB protocol.
- For meningioma resections: sample the surface of the tumor well.
- For seizure focus resections, submit the ENTIRE specimen after overnight fixation.
- For other resections, review the specimen with the neuropathology attending (pager 9502) prior to submission.