By The University of Chicago Department of Pathology
How to Snap Freeze Tissue for Diagnostics:
- Take sections of desired tissue (approximately 5 mm cubed). (A good amount of tissue for Neuroblastomas is 2 pieces, 1 gram each).
- Wrap tissue in foil.
- Label a megacassette, and place foil-wrapped tissue inside.
- Submerge in LN2 for 5 minutes.
- Then, remove cassette using forceps and place in diagnostic box in the -80 freezer.
- Log specimens into the frozen tissue log book on top of freezer.
- Write note on triage form. This information should be included in the gross description.
- Notify a PA that there is a specimen in the freezer.