Auto text: “Lung Biopsy”
These specimens may consist of endobronchial, transbronchial, or needle core biopsies. Often they are post-transplant or from an immunocompromised host.
- If the tissue is core biopsies: Submit ONE intact core per cassette, between sponges. Use multiple cassettes if needed.
- If the tissue is endobronchial or transbronchial biopsies: filter into a mesh bag and submit in one cassette.
- If an infectious agent such as mycobacterium, fungus or CMV are clinically suspected, order these special stains while grossing (AFB, GMS, CMV).
- If the requisition states the biopsy was taken post transplant, confirm the CoPath part type is “Lung, transplant biopsy”. These cases have automatic special stains ordered up front (CMV and C4d).
- If the requisition states the biopsy was taken for molecular markers, confirm the CoPath part type is “Biopsy for Molecular Testing” and that only one H&E level will be cut in histology.